German Shepherd Imports and AKC Registration
ALL of our dogs are registered in Europe. There is a LONG process to register the dog with AKC after we Import them and before we can register the litter.
Here is the process:
- We receive the Mom from Europe and she is in Whelp with pups from the Sire in Europe. Within a month we receive Mom’s Import papers which we have to get registered in Europe ‘in our name’. This takes some time (it is required by AKC, and also Europe Mail takes 3 weeks each way!)
- When we receive Mom’s Import papers with our name as the new owner, we then send them into AKC with the Foreign Registration form, color photos and required AKC fee. This can easily take a month.
- We purchase a DNA kit from AKC
- When received, we do the DNA on the dog and return it to AKC for processing which takes 6-8 weeks
- IF the DNA took (many times they send you a resample kit UG), we request a Stud Certificate from the Sire owner in Europe (hopefully this is filled out correctly & we received this by mail- sometimes it is not received or approved by AKC.
- When/If that is received, we can register a Foreign litter with the AKC and then after several weeks we get your puppy’s papers and send them to you 🙂
This is the process, but there are NO guarantees. So far, we have ALWAYs been able to register our Import litters!
But remember: We are dealing with Europe and a foreign language & foreign paperwork & AKC always has the final word and they always say to us “Pending”. So we say to you: “Pending registration”. (Puppies are limited reg. as family pets ‘breeding rights’ for Full registration are available at sellers discretion, usually for a one time fee of $350-$800 or a puppy back)
You will get your papers for your puppy when we receive them.
IF your puppy is a” Direct Import from Europe”- it takes time to receive the Foreign Import Papers and depending on if you bought breeding rights (paid for Full registration or limited-family pet) will determine how we proceed when the Import papers arrive. Your contract will state if you get the import papers direct from us and we will help you with the AKC registry of full registration, OR if you will give us the registration fee for your pup for AKC for Limited registration if you haven’t done the Spay or Neuter at that time.